Saturday, November 27, 2010

You Can Change Your Face, But Can't Change Your Mind

Have you ever had one of those moments when you became aware of something involving one of your senses, but you have no explainable reason why? Example: You suddenly become aware of exactly how something sounds, even though you've never heard it before?

Yea. Like that.

Last night, somewhere between 12-2, this happened. I'm not exactly sure what time it was(it gets really, really dark where I live, and I can't see the moon to even get a guestimation, even though I was never a Girl Scout hahah, disregard how I'd know that, I suck cocks, etc). I was sitting at my desk, wrapping up some homework, when I smelled something that literally made me throw up in the trashcan beside me.

Now, I'll be honest: I have smelled some noxious stuff in my life. Once, when I was younger, my mom hit a skunk with the car, and that was seriously horrible. I'm familiar with the odor of burnt hair, and burnt other things(but not flesh, thankfully). I've smelled raw sewage, I've smelled a river with way too much pollution in it, I've smelled a garbage dump, all that, but...

...what I smelled last night was....I don't know, it was like that sort of sulphury swamp smell, and the smell of rancid meat - you know, something in the fridge that has gone distinctly bad. And it wasn't sour, either. Not like, dairy sour. Milk, sour cream, stuff like that has a very particular odor to it. Same as meat that's gone bad - it's got a unique, distinct smell, all it's own. This was like, part bad meat, and part overripe banana, that's gotten too sweet for it's own good.

So imagine sitting there, minding your own business, when you're suddenly surrounded by this cloud of odors: fetid swamp, overripe bananas, rancid meat. All at once - it did not have the courtesy of sneaking up on me, bit by bit, oh no. Just BAM, right there. It was so bad and so sudden that my eyes literally started to water. I have no idea where it came from - I was the only person in the house that was awake. No one had cooked anything, no one had cleaned out the fridge, no one had done anything with garbage or anything.

After horking up my cookies in the trashcan, I got up and stumbled out of my room, down the hallway...and it was gone. The hall was completely free of the odor, and after going into the bathroom and rinsing my mouth out/brushing my teeth, I went back to my room, rag over my nose, in preparation to face the horrendous odor beast, only to find that the smell was not present anymore.

Mind you, part of me was seriously relieved because I'm pretty sure, looking back on it, that had it been there, I'd've gotten sick all over again. That's how bad it was. The other part of me was seriously weirded out, because the fact that the odor was suddenly there, and suddenly gone, did not make me feel better.

Needless to say, I didn't get my homework finished. Almost did - finished it a few hours ago. I just finished going through the house, trying to see if I could find the source of the Very Bad Smell, but there's nothing out of the ordinary, nor have I found any traces of maybe a small mouse or something, that might've gotten in and died - but that's virtually impossible, in this house. There's one door, and no windows in here. I don't see how a mouse could've gotten in.

I guess I should be thankful for that, though. Getting a dead rodent that smells like that out of the house would surely be my undoing. Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment